Well, I've decided to join the blog bandwagon and, instead of sending out those annoying mass emails to everyone, write a mass blog to everyone and then it's up to you to read. Of course, knowing me some of you might be saying "I wonder how long she's going to keep this up," which is a valid point to which I will say, I have no idea. I just know that I enjoy reading little tidbits about other people's lives and sometimes have things that I want to say about my life, job, life's purpose, frustrations, etc. so this seemed like a fairly good venue in which to share. Eventually I'll add some pictures for those of you more visually oriented, but my cameras broken at the moment, and so you'll have to be content with words and the few "borrowed" pictures I get online.
To get this started, I will share with you my frustration of the moment. I am currently without healthcare. I just started my job and will have healthcare on October 1st, but as it is still September, I'm healthcare-less. This did not seem to be a problem at all until Jordan came down with a fever on Friday night. The fever continued through the weekend and after a fairly good day on Sunday, she woke up Monday with her fever over 100. Now I am faced with a dilemma. What do I do? Do I take her to the doctor she is scheduled to start seeing in October, or do we wait it out? I decide to wait it out. The fever still persists and Tuesday she's fairly sick and lethargic all day. Right before dinner, she took a nap and woke up dizzy with a huge headache. I decided to give in, after all this is my baby and I don't want her to suffer because I'm cheap and, for the time being, monetarily challenged. So I call the doctor on Wednesday and she wants to see Jordan. I go into the doctor's office in the afternoon and Jordan is bouncing off the walls with energy. No fever, no headache. Still, she has seemed a little better before in the week, so I pay for the visit and the doctor sees her for about 2 minutes, looks in the throat says "it's a little red." Asks about symptoms, none of which are usual for the flu, but she says there's been a flu going around (other kids have nausea, cold, etc. which Jordan doesn't have, but nevertheless it's the diagnosis I'm given). So she writes a prescription for Amoxicillin and sends me on my way. I'm left with another choice, fill the prescription and drug my daughter, or see where this all goes. I decide to wait again. I generally always choose the non-drug route if possible. Jordan is fine the rest of the day, and she wakes up this morning with no fever and no headache, ready to return to school. This kind of thing always happens to me. By the time I decide to get to a doctor, they do a cursory look-over without getting any real idea of what the problem is and send me on my way with a prescription (I once got a Valium prescription for a stiff neck, along with 2 other pain prescriptions). My question? Do we really need doctors? Yes, there are times when I'm glad doctors are around - ear infections, broken bones, serious illnesses need professional treatment. I just wonder about all those other things doctors do. I very rarely come away from a doctor's office feeling satisfied, and I very rarely choose to go to the doctor when I'm sick in the first place.
Well, I don't know if blogging about my frustrations helps or not, but at least now you all can share my pain for the moment!
1 comment:
I'm so glad you've succombed to the blogging world. :) It's a great outlet for me. And I hear you loud and clear on the Dr. thing. Drives me NUTS! I do the exact same thing: wait it out. When I finally do give in and take them, it never fails that they act 'normal' and there are no symptoms that were there 2 hrs. ago. arg! I've got a kink in my neck currently and I'm wondering if I can skip the whole Dr. thing and go straight to a Phys. Therapist or something. Don't you love the system?
Post a Comment