Thursday, April 10, 2008

Voting

Unless you live in a cave (and if you do, you probably don't have internet access), you know there's an election on and a highly contested race between Senator Barack Obama and Senator Hillary Clinton. Additionally, you probably know that "youth are turning out to support Obama in record numbers" or something to that effect. Here's what I was wondering today as I was looking through the news: will Obama effect the involvement of young people in future elections. Imagine all these dewy-eyed fresh faced 18-32 year olds (I'll no longer fit in that category as of one week from today, sigh) so excited about a candidate who they feel represents their interests. They turn out and vote, they work on the campaign, they watch YouTube videos of Obama girl. November comes along, they vote for their candidate and... he doesn't win and they stop caring about politics because their vote still doesn't count or ...he does win and all of the sudden they see what their involvement could mean. I know we can't definitively predict that this will happen either way, especially since we don't always have stellar, devotion-inspiring candidates running for office, but I think it's interesting and I'll be watching closely to see what happens.

No comments: