Saturday, July 19, 2008
H2O
I went swimming today. This isn't huge news, but I do generally avoid dipping myself in water. It's just not something I'm that interested in doing for the most part. I dislike the transition period between from hot and dry to cool and wet - I know, I could just jump in, but I refuse to do this. I also dislike chlorine and water in my eyes/contacts. So I just let Jordan go to the pool and have fun with friends and I stay home and be lazy. Today however I gave in and went into the pool. Jordan and I will be separated for over three weeks starting Thursday so she's getting a little clingy. It wasn't that bad, but our pool has a LOT of chlorine in it. After I got out and dried off, my legs had white powder on it. While in the pool Jordan and I did some swimming races. I did pretty well considering I have no swimming skills at all. Actually, I think Jordan's swimming lessons have rubbed off on my over the years. Just watching her and listening to the swim instructors telling her what to do has given me a theoretical understanding of how to swim better. Last week and this coming week Jordan finishes up her swimming lessons for the summer. The previous time she was put in the lower level swimming class and spent a large majority of the time on the side of the pool waiting for each swimmer to individually be helped to swim across the pool. This time I told her that on the first day's swimming test she needed to show that she could swim and do the freestyle stroke and breathing to the side thing. She did so and was put in the higher level class. The problem (for her) is that it's much more challenging. The instructor put the kids in two groups and just has them swim laps over and over for the 40 minutes. By the last laps of the day I can tell she's tired by the slower strokes. She complains but I'm very happy that she's actually doing some swimming. At the same time as her lessons, another instructor teaches jumping and diving from the diving board. This is the next lessons we'll do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment