Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Lazy, Crazy Summer Days
So, for the past week, I've been trying to find a way to get out of the house and to a place that Jordan will be entertained and I can get some writing done. The week before we spent mostly at home, and that just didn't work. Either Jordan was bothering me, or the internet was calling me to come and play. So this week we've set up a bit of a routine. First we go to swimming lessons at 9:15. Jordan gets to swim, and I have about an hour of uninterrupted writing time. Yes it's outside by a pool, but I've got my chair and umbrella (so I don't get burnt) and have actually managed to get some good work done there. After the swimming we go somewhere nearby - the first day we went to my school so I could print stuff out, the 2nd day we went to a tiny little library branch, today we went to a coffee shop. We then go home for a little while and then set out again ASAP. This second part of the day hasn't worked as well, but one day we went to the coffee shop near our house and today we went to John's Incredible Pizza Co. John's is kind of like Chuck E. Cheese, but better. They have a buffet instead of pizza only, so there are several choices (not the most delicious food, but pretty classic buffet fair, they even have some interesting pizza choices - mac & cheese pizza included). There are then 5 room choices to eat in. One room is quiet, no TVs, two of them play sports, one is a music video room, and one is a cartoon room. The first time we went it was Memorial Day and also kind of Sarah's birthday party. We ate in the sports room (and watched one of those obscure British sports, the Syracuse Orange won I believe) and then went out and watched the kids play the games. They have the normal chuck e. cheese style games, but then they also have a roller coaster, bowling alley, bumper cars, and other more high level games. These cost more points of course, but are another option. So, I discovered the second time we went, that if we eat in the cartoon room, Jordan doesn't bother me while we eat (and she takes extra long because she's busy watching the cartoons) then she leaves for a half hour to play the games, then she comes back and munches some more while watching more cartoons. In this way, I get at least an hour of work done. So, my summer days haven't been lazy lately, but hopefully I'll get chapters 1-4 (out of 5) done before I head north to hang out with the family in Sun River!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Way to go, Cyndi, on submitting the first three chapters of your dissertation. That's worth a high five!
Post a Comment