Monday, February 7, 2011

The Elusive Runner's High

I've heard tales of this phenomenon known as the runner's high. Apparently, when people exercise, they get this rush of endorphins that makes them feel really good. Other people say that after they exercise they feel really good, more energy for the rest of their day. Some people feel they cannot start their day without exercising because it gets them going. I have never, in my entire life, experienced any of these effects. The only reason I exercise is because I know it's good for me. I've never felt any rush of endorphins. I have never experienced any noticeable increase in energy for the day. I just get a little sweaty and my muscles get tired. I don't know if this is because I'm doing it wrong or because I just don't have those genes, but it makes exercising difficult. The one thing I like about exercising is it's a way to get out of the house. For those days that I feel a little cabin fever or a little tension in the casa, it's nice to get out of the house. This past week, I went to the gym one out of seven days. Because I don't want to leave J alone in the house in the morning, I don't exercise until after she's at school which means I only have 2 mornings that I have time to work out. I also have found I don't have the motivation or energy to make it to the gym after work, so I don't end up going on the other week days. The weekends I spend with the family and so I generally don't go out on my own for those days. This week, I worked out on Monday and didn't get motivation to get out on Friday. I did end up walking to the store over the weekend, though, to pick up some last minute Super Bowl ingredients. That was about a 1 1/2 or 2 mile walk which isn't terrible (I DO NOT run!). I did work out today, and Jordan is at science camp for until Thursday, so I should be able to get my 3 work outs in without a problem. I just need to figure out how to get that 3rd day in during the week. I could either force myself to work out after school Wed. Thurs. or Fri. or make an attempt to get out of the house over the weekend. We'll see how that works out.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

Jordan could use the exercise, too. Could you get her to join you?

Eric said...

I have to work out really hard to get the kind of benefits that you described, like a 35 minute run at 80% effort, or a 90 minute bike ride at a fast tempo. I have to get near-exhaustion for an extended period of time and most people don't work out that hard or for that long.