Well, we're off and running with the 12 Tasks of Womanhood for my lovely daughter. A week and a half ago, we headed to Santa Ana, CA for an all day babysitting class. She got to learn about CPR and how to respond to rebellious kids (among other things). She had a great time quizzing me all the way home about what I would do in a hypothetical situation (what if they wouldn't get ready for bed? What if a stranger came to the door? What do you do get hired again?) At church the next day, she tracked down everyone she knew with small children (and at our church that's A LOT!!!) and told them she was now certified to help them out. We may have one mother of 3 kids (4 and under) who wants someone to entertain her kids while she gets work done in the house, so we'll see if that pans out.
Another task she has completed is being in charge of our finances. When I got my last paycheck, I handed over the money we spend for groceries, laundry, gas, and fun stuff and let her be in charge. I told her that she got to make all the decisions, but she could ask me for help if she wanted. She started out pretty sure that she could get all the groceries we needed for the 2 weeks for around $30, but quickly learned that was unrealistic :). She did a great job, however. She did buy some things that were not "necessities" but limited them enough so we could have fun but still have enough when the milk ran out. Her responsibility ended today and we have about $1.50 left over.
Some of her tasks are more ongoing. She is supposed to get at least a B- average in school for the next 2 semesters. She's a little behind this semester, but has been actively trying to catch up. She's also supposed to do her devotions at least 3 times a week and she has been keeping up with that as well. I was pleased when I learned that she is reading through the book of Acts to keep up with the sermon series our pastor has been delivering for the past month.
This weekend we will complete the 3rd task - dinner party for friends. She's been practicing recipes the last couple weeks and has sent out the invitations, so we'll see how that one goes. It has been fun experiencing these things with her and seeing her step out and grow. Looking forward to what happens next!
2 comments:
I love it! I wish we could get by on two weeks of groceries for $30. We spend almost that much on milk in two weeks.
Post a Comment