Wednesday, October 24, 2007

All's Well

Well, we're into our fourth day of fires all around. Thankfully we haven't had any come too close. The closest fires to us are Lake Arrowhead and Temecula and those are fairly distant. When I look north I can see brown skies and when I look south there's a kind of pillar of white clouds. The air smells like burning and there is ash that floats down occasionally. Today I heard on the news that when cleaning ash we need to not let it touch us as it might have cancer-causing chemicals... great, just what we need. Jordan's school is not letting any of the kids outside for recess. They watched Mulan yesterday, which I'm pretty sure she was okay with. She's getting antsy, though, because I won't let her go outside at home, either. She had a bad cough and runny nose before this all started, and it's not going away, so we're definitely not going to make it worse by breathing in cancer-causing ash!
I'm so glad that I decided to move to California this year - the year of the worst forest fires and highest evacuation rates in California history. It's good to be a part of history, right? Now all we need is a gigantic earthquake next year, and I'm set...
Okay, enough whining about the out of doors. We still are in our home and are far from the fires, and Eric and his family are still safe - still no school or work for them, but they haven't had to be evacuated yet. So, I'll be thankful.

No comments: