Monday, February 25, 2008

Opreation Snow: Success


We had another unexpected weekend last weekend. One of my students came to me on Friday and told me that the faculty member coming on their tubing trip backed out at the last minute, and since it was a university-sponsored trip, they needed someone to come along. They'd pay all my expenses, I just needed to show up. So, Jordan and I hopped on the (nice) bus on Saturday morning and headed for Big Bear. It took us about 2 hours to get there because of traffic and being in a bus on curvy roads, but only 1 1/2 to get back. One of Jordan's favorite parts was watching movies (they showed Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but the sound was low so she missed most of the swearing, Eight Below, and Cars), but it was both of our first times tubing and that was pretty fun. I forgot my coat, and didn't realize until we were half-way there, and was a little worried about what was going to happen, but when we stepped off the bus with long underwear (top and bottom) shirt and sweater, I was actually pretty warm. Some of the area had natural snow, but most of the tubing run was the manufactured variety and the weather stayed nice most of the afternoon. I didn't get cold until right before we were leaving, so that all worked out. Big Bear seems like a pretty nice place. Nice big, blue lake, mountains all around, events for summer and winter. We read about a Pirate Faire this summer, so Jordan and I will probably head up there for an afternoon in June to play pirates - we have the costumes!

No comments: