Monday, May 5, 2008

...and the world remains silent.

Since school is over now, I've started to get back into working on finishing the dissertation. Looking to see what is happening in the news regarding Darfur - the subject of my diss - I came across this article. What is going on? Why is nothing being done to fix this problem. At least 300,000 people have died - a conservative estimate when compared to others of 400 or 500K. 2.5 million people have had their homes destroyed, wells poisoned, livelihoods vanished. Women are attacked and raped, children are forced to grow up in refugee camps when their schools aren't being bombed. Aid organizations are doing their best to help the people out, but are at risk of being attacked, robbed, and murdered themselves. The U.N. tries to work with the government to send in 26,000 peacekeeping troops - troops that were supposed to be sent in January but still aren't there, and this is the same government that sent the plane that bombed the school that killed the children. I don't know what needs to be done, I'm not an expert on intervention in things like this, and the situation is very complex - with both sides erring in major ways - but surely more can be done than is currently.
It makes me sad every time I start to research the current situation. When I chose Darfur as my topic, 2 1/2 years ago, I was fairly certain it would be all over by the time I finished writing. The end of the diss is in sight. The end of the conflict, not visible at all.

No comments: