Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Racist Dog?

I'm starting to think that Kiki is racist. Is this possible? Generally, when Kiki sees a new person, she gets all excited and jumps up on them - a habit I'm trying to get her to stop, but something she still does. We have neighbors that are Black, and when she sees them, she gets excited, but its more like nervousness. She'll start barking and she'll charge at them a little, but then come and hide behind me while still barking. They are a really sweet family and would love to pet her and play with her, but she never will let them get close. My plan is to introduce her to them gently, maybe hold her while letting them pet her. I just don't want to make them feel bad by letting them know she doesn't like them. It makes me a little sad. I've managed to raise a daughter who accepts people no matter what they look like, now I guess I have to work on my dog.

No comments: