
Last week I discovered a new way to work and it makes me so happy that I had to share it. Usually, I have to fight traffic to get on and off highway 91 - my average wait time through the four stop lights leading to the onramp/offramp is about 5 minutes. This wait time is full of people cutting me off, weaving in and out of traffic, pushing the clutch in and out over and over, shoulders tensing, teeth gritting, stress levels rising... to top it off, the two radio stations I prefer to listen to (NPR and AIR 1) don't work at these intersections for some reason, so I don't even have that to distract me. So I arrive at work all tense and upset about traffic/drivers and I decided that it was ridiculous. I went onto Google Maps (love it!) and looked over the roads leading from my house to the school and found a road that went the same length of town as the highway did so I decided to try it on my way home from work.
The street is Victoria Avenue and it was made in the early 1900's as a way to get oranges from the groves to the railway. The designers placed all kinds of ornamental trees along the way, with palm trees, eucalyptus trees, roses, etc. There are orange farms along the side of the road. There's a path on which people walk their dogs, jog, and walk with their kids. The trees block the smog and just show the beautiful blue sky up ahead. The road isn't very crowded, either. It is one lane on either side of a median with palm tress and other plants. There are very few stoplights, but stop signs throughout the drive (I pass by 8 of them). The drive just makes me happy. Nobody cuts me off, I never have to wait any time to get past the stop signs, and the view is gorgeous. So now I get to work with a smile!
2 comments:
I'm SO glad you're blogging! I love keeping up on you and Jordan - whose birthday is coming up I believe, isnt' it? I can just picture you cruisin' down the avenue... So would you recommend the Revolve tour? Just a curious momma... That's so great about Jordan's laid back personality. whew! I'll trade you! j/k.
thanks, I must say I love your blog, too - and the adorable quartet.
I'm not sure whether I would recommend the Revolve tour or not. It had some great messages, and brought up some of the key things that teen girls face, but it seemed to me that it was all about the bands. Many seats were empty until the bands played and then they were all full. I guess if the girls came with the right focus and wanted to hear and learn and grow... I don't know. Jordan did love it, though, and she could have cared less about the bands.
Post a Comment