Well, I have been (quite subtly) asked to update the blog and fill you all in on the past weeks. I took Kiki to the vet two weeks ago to check if she had a chip and was informed that she didn't and "looks like you've got yourself a dog!" We still have her description and our phone number at the humane society and so we're not making our puppy permanent until Valentines Day.
After much debate (mostly in my own head) we decided to go to my parents' for Christmas this year. Having a puppy along was a bit of a complication but Motel 6 accepts pets and Kiki is a fairly mellow dog so it wasn't horrible. The interesting bit was when we got to my parents and initiated Kiki into the family pack. Just to update you all - in my immediate family, there are a grand total of 8 dogs - a Great Dane, a Mastiff, a Vishla, a Border Collie/Australian Shepherd, a Cocker Spaniel (Kiki), and 3 mutts. Of those 8, 7 were in Oregon over Christmas. My parents' dog Molly (the BC/AS) is a very territorial dog and was not happy at all about having another female in her home (of the 8 dogs, 3 are female). She was snappish for most of the first 3 days we were there. My brother's dog Luke (the Vishla) liked a Kiki... a little too much maybe. He just couldn't figure out how to play with her without humping her. So, for the first couple days, Kiki spent most of the time on my lap trying to get away from the dogs. On the second day we were there, we decided to go to my sister's house - she has the Great Dane, Mastiff and 2 of the mutts. I brought Kiki because I wasn't thrilled about her staying at my parent's alone and she hadn't quite figured out how to adjust to the new bathroom schedule, so needed more monitoring. I assumed that she was going to spend the evening on my lap again, but she surprised me. She decided that her little 24 pound frame was up to attacking the Great Dane and Mastiff and became little attack dog. When King, the Mastiff, took her up on her offers to play, however, she realized what she'd gotten herself into and tried to get away. Getting away from a dog that can reach anything without needing to jump proved to be a challenge and I think she regretted her earlier ferociousness. By Christmas Day, probably due to her experience with King, Kiki and Molly had figured out how to play together without killing each other.
When Luke left for a couple days when my brother went to visit friends, Kiki and Molly had great fun playing uninhibited with each other. So, I think Kiki had a great Christmas.
I had a pretty good Christmas, too, but I gotta tell you folks, I love my family, but I'm not too sad that we don't live in Oregon anymore. There were periodic bursts of blue sky while we there, but for most of the time, it was gray and rainy and gloomy. I got sick towards the end of the trip and am still snuffling and using up Kleenex in great bundles. The entire trip home was gray and gloomy and rainy, too, until we got to the Grapevine. Once we got to the top and entered Angeles National Forest, the sun came out and the clouds were left behind. I know it's a little sick and twisted, but when we passed by the Smoky the Bear sign and when I saw that the fire danger was "high," I got a little smile on my face and was thankful to be home!
Well, folks I have to go right now. Hope you all are having a wonderful New Year and looking forward to exciting things to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment