Okay, when I chose to come teach at a Christian college, I knew that I'd be dealing with some very conservative ideas. I tend to be more liberal in my politics (yes Christians can be liberal, or as my brother-in-law calls me, a red commie liberal), but I don't feel that interferes with my Christianity. I also feel I can be nonjudgmental with my students conservative ideas and grade them on their presentation of the topic rather than their point-of-view. I'm having a bit of difficulty with one student, however. The first occasion I had to understand his political stance was when he told me in class that he hadn't done assigned research on illegal immigration, but he knew a lot because he was a Minuteman - the guys who aren't border patrol but watch the borders with their rifles and wait for the illegal aliens to cross and then detain them until the Border Patrol agents can come and arrest them. This is pretty antithetical to my view that borders are a human invention and God has called us to love others and take care of the poor and needy. Anyway, I took a deep breath, smiled and told him to bring me the homework later for a lowered grade. Now I've asked students to submit their topics for the second speech and find myself unable to grade his topic. His political problem is that women are allowed to run for president. He doesn't feel that women should be given this chance, that we should enact a law that, if they get the presidency, they aren't given any power, because this is "known throughout history and Christianity" and is a biblical principle. Now I'm not an expert in the bible, but in all my reading of the bible in my year of Christian junior high, high school and college, as well as my readings in church and on my own lead me to say that God's principles were for the church, not for countries. I just don't even know what to do with this.
----- update - the topic right after his was of a female student wanting to talk about women's rights. he, he, he.
3 comments:
Maybe you should assign him the story of Deborah in the book of Judges as his next speech.
I'm really glad I'm not you at the moment. I'd much rather have to wear long skirts than grade that paper. :o) Good luck with that...
he decided to change his topic after all - said that he couldn't find any sources to back up his point of view!
Post a Comment