Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hurricane Season

Last night, my small group met and the icebreaker of the day was to give your week's forecast (or postcast since it already happened?). My week was a hurricane. Last week I had two huge time gobblers vying for my attention. One was an organization Jordan is in called DI - destination imagination. In the organization, teams choose a challenge which they (the kids) have to do themselves. Jordan's group chose to write a story for 3 different audiences. They have to perform it and do props for it as well. They chose to do a story about a kid who finds a genie in a lamp. They chose to perform it for teenagers (and added attitude in the way they told it), the hearing impaired (and each learned their lines in sign language), and to underwater sea creatures (and used word bubbles). It was pretty creative and the props they built were cool, too. I'll post pictures when I get a minute. So the competition was last Saturday and we spent 3+ hours a day, every single day, for a week and a half getting them ready for the competition. I didn't make it to each of the practices, but at least half of them I was helping (we couldn't do anything to help them physically, but this group needs a lot of motivation). So I spent Saturday - pretty much the entire day - in Pasadena for the competition. Jordan's group won, fortunately (?) so her team goes on to the state competition in Sacramento next month.
The other time gobbler was a new course I'm teaching. It is all online and my school doesn't open up the online platform for the course until 10 days prior to the first day. Since I've never taught it before, that means 10 days of intense preparation (I had to video lectures too, ugh). So that was added to my workload. Add to that the fact that we're in midterms now - so grading and test prepping. Also add in that I have a family and a life (supposedly) and I was feeling a bit stressed. This week has been very busy, too, finishing up the grading and catching up on things I didn't do last week. Needless to say, spring break next week will be a huge relief. Because of my hectic life, I worked out one day last week and took no walks. I haven't worked out at all this week but have been taking the evening walks (and I weighed myself yesterday with very positive results!). I also spent way too much money last week - getting snacks for the kids, rushing to the store whenever we needed something instead of having a carefully planned list. I think I have enough groceries now to last through part of next week, though, so I'll make it up. Also I got a raise for next school year which will contribute to the paying of the loans. As for the internet playing, I've done some, but I had so much to get done, and I did get so much done, I can't make myself care. So that means my resolutions and goals have not been met for 2 weeks, and I will think more carefully about that when I have another moment to spare - in one day and 43 minutes from now.

No comments: