Monday, October 3, 2011

Happy October

The leaves are changing, the weather is cooling, there's a hint of frost in the air... at least that's what I understand from people in other parts of the country. Still shorts and tank tops here, although there's a suggestion of cooler, rainier weather to come. For our home, October means BIRTHDAY MONTH!!!! And this year J is turning 13 so it means BECOMING A WOMAN ON MY BIRTHDAY MONTH or something similar to that. I think we've finally nailed down our birthday celebration location (J was given the option of choosing anyplace within driving distance to visit). She decided that she just wants to go to LA and take in the city. Since this means a considerably shorter drive than other places we might go, I'm going to surprise her by either going to the Millenium Biltmore Hotel or the Omni Los Angeles Hotel both of which of swanky and over-the-top. I still haven't figured out her 12 tests of womanhood, but have gotten 7 figured out. She is to host a dinner party, learn a language (to some extent), go on a 5K for a charity of her choice, learn to keep her finances in check, enter some of her art in an art contest, take a child care/babysitting class, and memorize some key scripture passages. If I get inspired in the next couple weeks, I'll add more, or I'll just have her help me come up with the last 5.
She has been doing amazingly well in the past couple months. She loves being in junior high (crazy, right?) and she's been more social than I can remember her being since we moved to Cali. She went to a school dance, has had friends over, she joined the color guard team. She still is not too excited about going to counseling, but she sought out her school counselor on her own (the counselor told her that the type of help J needs is not the thing she does). We haven't had any tears or break downs for a while and MY counselor says it sounds like J is doing well and has some great boundaries. As long as J and I are able to communicate with each other, things should continue to go along positively. It's a huge relief to me that my girl is okay and that she might have learned some good lessons for the boys/men she has in her life in the future. Thank you for your prayers for her, they have really been answered.

No comments: