I have always wanted to have a little neighborhood cafe to work in. A place within walking distance of my home that I could bring grading or research and work in. I had a professor at Oregon State (who just beat USC by the way - wahoo!) who used to do her work in a bar. The bar owners called her the smart girl and bought a lamp for a table just for her. While I'm not interested in working in a bar (and think my school might discourage it as well...) I like the idea of that kind of neighborhood relationship.
Well, as I'm writing this I'm working in my neighborhood cafe. I've been here three hours and already seen several people I know. Right now outside the window one of the workers here is telling a story to about 20 kids - she sang with them before that. While this is great for business for the cafe, it also creates a great community feeling. I'm loving it.
And now I'm back to work again - 3 hours so far today.
No comments:
Post a Comment