Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Challenges

My job, like most, has its ups and downs, its problems and benefits. One of the challenges that I face is the nature of the speeches that I assign. Students talk about a life-changing moment in their lives and about social or political problems they care about. This leads to some interesting speeches, some funny speeches, and some speeches where students really open up and share their lives. I've had a speech about rape from a girl who told us she was a victim of rape and her son was the product of that assault. I had a boy tell us of a time he accidentally killed another kid at a wrestling match. This semester, I have a student who is speaking on sexual assault which she recently has dealt with. She came to me and told me that she thought that it would be an easy topic for her since it's something she cares about, but, although she tightly controls her emotions, it obviously still bothers her. This is a great thing, but it is also tough for me as sympathizing with others is not one of my strong points. It's hard for me to know what to say and how to help, but I mostly just listen and hope that's enough.
I also, sometimes, have students who tell me about personal problems they are dealing with - usually as a plea for more time or grace on assignments. I've had a student tell me about mental problems he was dealing with (this I couldn't help with, and advised he talk to the counselors). This semester I've had a student talk to me about her relationship issues and confusion about what her life's purpose is. This week I had a student come talk to me because in the last two weeks her husband left her for another woman and left her to pay for an apartment on her own. She is doing school, two jobs, and athletics along with dealing with the pain of this betrayal. Again, I didn't feel like I could do much more than listen to her and offer her my help in the class itself and a friendly and nonjudgmental ear.
One thing I have heard twice in the past week is that many times a person who is going through a tragedy ends up comforting their friends and family. The people come to offer sympathy, but end up expressing their own pain and hurt and the victim feels the need to comfort them and tell them it's all okay. Hopefully, coming to me as a person uninvolved and not emotionally attached to the situation allows them some comfort. All I can say is that I hope I get better at this than I am right now.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

You're in a good place. I'll pray for your wisdom as you 'parent' and listen.