Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Inevitable Emergency

Well, I was about 2 hours into working on the diss when the emergency I was sure wouldn't happen happened. I should have known not to write that - tempting fate and all that... Okay I don't really believe in fate but I'm frustrated beyond all measure.
I may have mentioned previously that my adviser has been unresponsive (no contact for the past 5 months). Well, I sent her some updated chapters today and received an out of office reply stating she won't be back until the 17th.
I decided to be a bit proactive and send the chapters to other people on my committee to see what they thought. As I went through the list of professors at my schools website, I discovered that one of them was missing. I did a google search of his name and discovered he is no longer at the university. No one bothered to tell me that a member of my committee is gone. My adviser didn't bother to tell me she's leaving the country (or anything else for that matter). I had to go to one of my friends to confirm it all.
So now I'm stuck with one member gone, one ignoring me, and two who don't really do the same kinds of things I do.
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Eric said...

What if this isn't really an emergency, it just a distraction that feels like one?

--There is nothing new that happened today; you just found out about it today.
--There is nothing that you have to do about it today either, or even this week; you just have to factor this in to your plans for the future.

In fact, you won't know for a while if what you found out today is good or bad for you so don't let it distract you. Complete what work you can with confidence while you wait for the rest to sort itself out.

Anonymous said...

You don't really need your committee to know your work, you just need your advisor to want you to graduate, and 2/3 of the other committee members to want to go along with them. :)