Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Becoming a Woman

So I've been thinking through what tasks I'll have J perform next year as she becomes a woman :)
I've only come up with a few, but thought I'd post them to see if there's any feedback out there in virtual land...
The first one - which I think will be fun, too - is to host a dinner party for her friends. She'd be responsible for choosing the menu and decorations, shopping for them, sending out invitations, cooking and baking... We'd spend several weeks before talking it all over, looking at magazines and websites for ideas, and discussing the importance of hospitality.
The next would be to come on a mission trip with me. That would be a longer term project involving training, fund raising, and going.
I thought it would be fun to include some language learning, not sure what the culmination of that would be - what would the actual "event" be in which she could show the language skills?
I wanted to include some physical activity, so I thought an AIDS walk or another 5K would work - I would walk with her. I also thought of try-outs for junior high sports since she's very interested in volleyball, but not sure if that would be the best. If she doesn't make the team, is that a failure? I'm still thinking that part through.
The last one I've thought about is for her to maintain a budget for a month - I would provide her with a "paycheck" at the beginning of the month and she'd have to pay rent, pay for food or buy her own, etc.
Thanks for the feedback you've given so far and I'd love any more suggestions, I need 7 more tasks if we're going to make it an even 12.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

How about something that would involve caring for children? Does your church nursery allow middle schoolers to help out?

Basic sewing skills...

Cleaning skills including heavy cleaning like mopping, showers...

Doing her own laundry...

Memorizing Scripture, books of the Bible...